b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:15:17 -0700

On 27/09/2003 12:15, David P Donnelly wrote:

Peter Kirk said:

In my scholarly opinion,
rather than belief,
this is already happening.
What is probably the original pronunciation is well known,
and some people pray to God using that name.
I don't suggest this has any special significance.

Dave asks Peter Kirk:
Are you allowed to make known
"what is probably the original pronunciation" of YHWH,
on this discussion board?
Dave Donnelly

Well, out of respect for those who prefer not to see it written too explicitly, I will just say that I would point it with patah-sheva-segol. That seems to be the majority scholarly opinion, based for example on a Greek rendering IAOUE - in which OU, omicron-upsilon, is a digraph pronounced like English "oo" or sometimes more like "w" (cf. French "oui" which is pronounced rather like English "we").

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)