b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:20:40 -0400

This is exactly the problem, isn't it? The Greek transliteration OU is
customarily
read as the consonant W in the word Yahweh, but it could equally be read as
the long ooo sound.
Now if you have an aspirated h in the middle of the word which had been
dropped,
and the OU as ooo, then the new reading of the Greek would be ya hu eh.
This would be consistent with both the Greek, the theophoric names that we
have,
and with the spelling of the name at Elephantine.
The only question is whether the Hebrew W serves as both a vowel and as a
consonant
in YHWH, or if only one or the other. In my opinion, it serves only as a
vowel based on
the theophoric names. But maybe going from the /hu/ to the /eh/ forces a
slight /w/ before the /eh/ since otherwise you'd need a glottal stop between
the syllables, wouldn't you, and wouldn't that require an aleph?
If so, that would lead you naturally to Yahuweh, with the accent on the hu.

Liz