b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:18:34 +0200

Dear Peter,

I have often wondered if those who say that a word does not have meaning without a context (or is "meaningless without specific textual contexts,") have for themselves defined the key word they are using, namely, *meaning* . Therefore I ask you. Is "meaning" the same as "reference", or is it "concept", or is it something else?

Would you really say that the bare Hebrew words such as $eleg ("snow"), )i$ ("man") and QF+AL "kill" are without *meaning*, like the word gobbledygook written in Hebrew characters would have been for the Hebrew mind? If these words have meaning without a context, would not the same be true with NEPE$?

Best regards

Rolf Furuli

about words being "meaningless without specific textual contexts".