b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Question for all - Lev. 17:13 - The concept

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hal Goodnight <jwdefender17 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Question for all - Lev. 17:13 - The concept
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 05:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

Clay Bartholomew wrote:

"The following verse explains it; no?
If not then what are you driving at?"

Basically, I'm wondering what an ancient Israelite had in mind
when he heard/read those words. Just what exactly was he thinking
when he literally poured the blood out and covered it with dust?
Does Lev. 17:13 call to mind the concept of disposal/destruction/ruining
of blood so as to prevent the eating of it? Or does it call to mind
something else entirely? If the former, do you feel there is any particular
emphasis on one part of the concept over the other (i.e. DISPOSAL being
emphasized over RUINING)?

These questions may seem stupid or redundant, but it's something I've been
wondering lately.

Regards,

Mark Davis.