b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:35:08 -0700 (PDT)

J. Sprinkle wrote:

> It sounds to me as if what
> you say comes close to what
> Michael says.

Hey! How'd I get mixed up in this "electricity"
business? ;-)

> I agree that the sense "life"
> comes close the sense of
> "soul," but it reads too much
> into the text to identify the
> two terms.

I'm a trained Bible translator (though not a
practicing one). I'm "programmed" to look for the
best semantic equivelant in a target language (in this
case English)--even if some nuance(s) might have to be
sacrificed. Life fit the context of the Rachel story
fairly well (I'm open to improvements), as it does the
story of Elisha and the lad.

> All this reflects its broad
> usage. And any particular
> usage can be debated as to
> which nuance is intended.

...which is why I agree with Jim West. We should
stick with specific texts and "debate" them. I
brought up two which I think appraoch the idea of an
immaterial NEPHESH which is in some sense distinct
from the body. How would you (or anybody) render into
English the particular passages I mentioned?

-- Michael Millier