b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:08:19 +0100

On Thu 3 Jul 2003 (06:31:30), peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com wrote:
> I am now wondering if "wrath" or "anger" is actually a correct
> translation of qetseph in such a context. It certainly doesn't seem to
> fit well in Esther 1:18 and Ecc/Qoh 5:16 (English 5:17), the two cases
> noted in BDB as "of man (late)". Something more like "anxiety" or "fear"
> would fit better in those contexts as well as in 2Ki 3:27. This seems
> to fit the sense of the Syriac cognate.

Thank you, Peter. I would agree with you. Each word in Hebrew has an Euler
Circle round it, which does not fit the Euler Circles around our English
lexical equivalents.

I daresay that the author of 2 Kings found recording that train of events
quite distasteful, and so he glossed over it in haste: leaving us wondering
what it all means.

I always find your input edifying.

Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>