b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:39:29 -0500

To All:

What one learns from debate.

This one caused me to go back to my concordance. I still have a copy of
Lisowski’s.

First I noticed that QCP when used as a verb is almost always followed by (L
(ayen lamed) followed by the object (person or thing) upon which the fury
falls.

Secondly, as a verb, it is always from a superior onto an inferior, e.g.
pharoah onto his baker and cupbearer, God onto Israel.

As a noun the line is not as clear though understood, again from a superior
onto an inferior. But it is often left to the context and the reader to
recognize the superior and inferior as they are often not explicitly stated
in the text.

Looking at the exact meaning of QCP, it appears to mean fury, with a dash of
disgust mixed in with a desire for vengeance. It is the action of a superior
who is angered, yet disgusted, with the disobedience of his inferior and who
is willing to act out vengeance (punishment) upon that disobedient inferior.

Now let’s look at 2 Kings 3. It starts with Joram becoming King and still an
idol worshipper, hence already worthy of QCP. Then in verse 4 Mesha of Moab,
another idolater, rebels against Joram. In verse 9 he takes along the king of
Edom, another idolater, and Hezekiah, many of whose people continued their
idolatry even though Hezekiah himself followed Yahweh. Elisha’s reaction in
verse 13–14 clearly indicates that God was ready to doom the whole army of
Israel and Edom to death, but the presence of Hezekiah spares their lives.
There was already QCP (L Y$R)L (qetsep al yisrael), King Mesha’s sacrifice of
his son was merely incidental, not the cause, thereof. Though could God’s
fury have been inflamed further as the people reverently stood by while Mesha
performed his sacrifice? Where were the arrows or slung stones to try to stop
it? That they were close enough to recognize the players meant they were
close enough to shoot arrows, maybe even close enough to throw a javelin or
two. So why did they allow that religious ceremony to go through
uninterrupted? That would infuriate God.

Those are my thoughts.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers