b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:40:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
<snip>

> Liz can you give us other
> > examples where pagan deities are shown in the OT as responding
> > favorably to
> > human sacrifice or any other kind of sacrifice?
> >
> > This isn't a rhetorical question, I really want to know.
>
> Well..., I don't think it's relevant really.....
> Just cuz one episode sneaks in, that doesn't mean there'll be more.
> Uh, how about Exodus 7:11,22; 8:7???
> >
> > greetings, Clay
> Best,
> Liz

Many years ago, when I was a callow youth, I read a book in my uncle’s house
written by a man (journalist?) who spent a few years traveling through the
Near East and Asia with the specific goal of learning magicians’ tricks. Some
of his recreations didn’t work very well, such as his Indian Rope Trick,
which got only about waist high, but the book contained a lot of interesting
stories. It was published about 1950, I don’t remember the name of the author
nor title.

In Egypt he was presented a stick. When he reached out to take it, the
magician pulled it back, then threw it on the floor. There was a spitting,
poisonous snake. Then the magician circled around, saw his moment and, faster
than the snake could react, grabbed it right behind the head and the snake
stiffened into a “stick” again. It turns out that a particular type of snake
stiffens into a straight, stiff form when the nerve is pushed right behind
the head, and the magicians knew it.

In Exodus 7:11,22; 8:3 (7 in English) Egypt’s people were copying Moses’
signs “in their sorcery” and not by calling on their gods. Those magicians
should have recognized that something greater was occuring than their tricks
when they saw Moses pick up his snake by grabbing the tail (Exodus 4:4) and
it returned to a stick. I wonder what tricks they used to “replicate” God’s
actions in 7:22 and 8:3.

Years ago my uncle retired and got rid of his library, so I have no clue
where even to start to look to find the name of the book or its author. He
doesn’t remember the names either.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers