b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Qohelet Genre T.Longman
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:15:10 -0400

Dear All,
I have not read Longman's book, but does the arguement
have to do with the use of first person? I've been wondering
about the use of first person in Ezra, and if that is a pseudo-biography,
I have here Seow's commentary and he agrees that the introductory
verse is in the style of Akkadian royal inscriptions, and belongs to
the fictional Akkadian biography, but he goes on to say that the author
plays against it. Instead of extoling his mighty works, he says that all
mighty works are for naught.
Are these the only uses of first person in the bible, Kohelet, Ezra and
Nehemiah?
Oh, I guess the Psalms too.
Does Longman discuss the use of first person, has anyone?
Thanks,
liz