b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Clayton Javurek <javurek AT asu.edu>
  • To: 'Trevor Peterson' <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:20:50 -0700

Title: RE: [b-hebrew] RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

Clayton Javurek
E-MAIL: javurek AT asu.edu

Then you have to make a decision:

Do you want to reach the masses with the minimum language skills?
or
Do you want just a select few who will master the language?

Looking at what Mark referring to in his first post, I would surely think he was trying
to reach as many as possible with a bare level minimal language skill.
That is why you must train the masses with tools and crutches which
significantly minimize language skills. For what Mark was referring
to, using the interlinear text and the analytical lexicon is surely
the best way to go at it.

Formal grammmar books require to much memorization...this repels lots of people.
Formal grammar books are good to use if the person who is well acquainted with
the interlinear and the analytical tools wants to move on to bigger and
better things. But for intro purposes which Mark was
referring to, formal grammar books are counter-productive
and drive people away from the languages since these books require too much
memorization.