b-hebrew - Re: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:55:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/2002 10:57:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu writes:

Andrew, while I can agree with most of what you wrote, please explain:

>2. v. 1 describes God's initial creative act - the creation of the
>"heavens and the earth" which is not a merism for "universe" (the
>Israelite people had no concept of a "universe" at this time), but a
>merism indicating the totality of all that exists, seen and unseen, on
>earth and in the heavens.

What is the difference between the "universe" and "the totality of all that
exists, seen and unseen, on earth and in the heavens"?

Good question.  My understanding of "merism" is that it refers to a pars pro toto.  I would think that "heavens and earth" would clearly refer to toto giving toto pro toto

I, however, do not agree with his conclusions.  I think Speiser, the JPS Tanak and others have it right -- "When God began . . ."

gfsomsel