b-hebrew - RE: raqia encore

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: raqia encore
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 18:45:47 +0100

Ian, I remember you saying something recently about the etymological
fallacy. That is the fallacy that just because two words (in the same or
in cognate languages) have the same etymology, there is a relation
between their meaning. That fallacy potentially applies here. Linguists
may not dispute that tehom and tiamat are etymologically related. That
does not imply that there is any relation between their meanings or
referents, especially in two quite remote languages with (as far as we
can tell) many centuries of time difference. I accept that they may be
related in meaning or referent. But a common etymology and a similar
form does not prove that.

Peter Kirk