b-hebrew - RE: raqia encore

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: raqia encore
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:08:22 +0100

Agreed that they are cognates. The important question is what IF ANY is
the relationship between their meanings. My point was simply that we
should not presuppose that there is any relationship. I agree that we do
this by looking at the way the terms are used. I don't see any close
relationship between the Akkadian concept of a primordial monster and
the consistent (including Genesis 1) Hebrew usage as the seas or ocean.

Peter

<snip>