b-hebrew - RE: raqia encore

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: raqia encore
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:05:54 +0200

Ian, you have no evidence that Enuma Elish is part of this context, that
it was known to the author Genesis 1. The only link you mention is one
cognate word, used in a very different sense. I agree that the link is
possible, but not that it is indisputable. There is a little more
evidence that the authors of Ps 74, 89 etc were acquainted with some
kind of Enuma Elish tradition, but the link may be extremely tenuous,
certainly not necessarily knowledge of a specific work.

You have absolutely no evidence for your assertion that the author of
Genesis knew anything that he or she did not say. This is pure
speculation. You talk about "an ancient text with ancient ideas". But
ancient ideas were highly diverse, especially if we are talking over
millennia. You don't seem to allow for that possibility.

Peter Kirk

<snip>