b-hebrew - Re: raqia encore

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: raqia encore
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 18:30:40 +0200

>> >One thing I find fascinating is the way some folks want to
>> >say that the Genesis account is based on mythology similar to
>> >Enuma Elish, tie in the word Tiamat and all the rest, while
>> >simultaneously claiming elsewhere that it wasn't even written until
>> >the second century B.C., several hundred years (at least!) after
>> >Enuma Elish and the other stuff had passed off the scene!
>>
>> Duh. Berossus is well aware of the Enuma Elish in the 2nd
>> century BCE.
>>
>Reference, please? I'll comment further after that.

Try:

Stanley M. Burstein, The Babyloniaca of Berossus, Malibu (Undena
Publications), 1978, pp. 14-5.

Alexander Heidel, The Babylonian Genesis: The Story of Creation (Genesis),
Phoenix Books, 1963, pp. 78-81

This last also deals with the Neoplatonic writer Damascius of
the 5th century who cites Enuma Elish.

Ian