b-hebrew - RE: bereshit and mereshit.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit and mereshit.
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:17:31 -0500

To Ian,

I trust you can see the difference between what Liz reports of Rashi's
position here and what you have been suggesting as possibilities. Rashi
does state, as have you, that the first action of creation reported here is
in v. 3. Most, if not all, would agree with that. This makes vv 1-2
introduction, setting the stage as it were. But treating the SVO clauses in
v. 2 as pluperfects is a significant degree different from making them
dependent clauses, all tied together in one lump with BARA 'LHYM in verse 1,
and subordinant to the action of verse 3.

HTH,

Paul Zellmer