b-hebrew - RE: Curious abut "G-d"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Eric Hill" <bhebrew AT hotmail.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Curious abut "G-d"
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:15:46 -0800

It is "vav" (or "waw", depending on which pronunciation scheme you use).
But the usual English transliteration of it is "W", which is supposedly
also the case in the transliteration scheme which b-Hebrew uses
(http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/). Perhaps because it can also function
as a "vowel letter", there is a certain attraction to "W" because of the
Greek Omega, which looks like and is also frequently transliterated with
a W.

Ken Smith