b-hebrew - RE: Curious abut "G-d"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Curious abut "G-d"
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:36:19 -0800

Title: Message

I’m sure other folks could answer this, but I’ll jump in.

As you know, the consonants for the original “name” of God were YHWH, and the current “chetib” for the MT substitutes the vowels for AeDoNaY.  According to the Anchor Bible Dictionary:

“The form ‘Jehovah’ results from reading the consonants of the Tetragrammaton with the vowels of the surrogate word Adonai.  The dissemination of this form is usually traced to Petrus Galatinus, confessor to Pope Leo X, who in 1518 AD transliterated the four Hebrew letters with the Latin letters jhvh together with the vowels of Adonai, producing the artifical form ‘Jehovah.’  (This confused usage may, however, have begun as early as 1100 AD.)  While the hybrid form Jehovah has met much resistance, and is universally regarded as an ungrammatical aberration, it nonetheless passed from Latin into English and other European languages and has been hallowed by usage in hymns and the ASV; it is used only a few times in KJV and not at all in RSV.”

See also:

http://www.yhwh.com/jehovah.htm

Ken Smith