b-hebrew - RE: Curious abut "G-d"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Curious abut "G-d"
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:56:02 -0500

Thanks for the response. I hadn't been aware of the distinction between writings that were intended to last, and writings that weren't.

But I guess I'm still curious. The "name" of God isn't "God", nor is it "Elohim". According to various passages in Exodus, it's the Tetragrammaton, right, i.e., YHWH?

Yes, that is the name that we don't pronounce, and don't know how to pronounce.
Elohim is also a name of G-d, as is El, and El Shaddai, and El Tzevaot, there are others that I can't think of right now.

And yes, the same care is taken with these and the other names.

Elohim we write Elokim, El, either with a dash between the two letters or Kel, Shaddai, with a dash between the second and third letters, Tzevaot we write Tzevakot, also words ending with a vav and he, we either put a dash between them, or an apostrophe after the vav instead of the heh

Shoshanna

I'm familiar with, and at one level or another can understand, the care about YHWH, but I wasn't aware that the same care was taken with )LHYM. (Or is it?) If not, why is it taken with the English "God"?

Sorry, hope I'm not being excessively dense here.

Ken Smith