b-hebrew - Curious abut "G-d"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Curious abut "G-d"
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:55:17 -0800

Title: Message
I have a newcomer's question.  I've noticed that some of our participants -- presumably those of a Jewish background -- use "G-d" in their emails, instead of spelling it out completely.  This may not be on topic, so please let me know if it isn't, but I'm a bit curious about this usage, as I've seen it before, but never quite understood what it was about.  I'm obviously familiar with the traditional circumlocutions regarding "hashem", but I'm wondering what the motivation and understanding is for "G-d".

For instance, I'm not aware that the Massoretes engaged in anything with regard to )LHYM similar to what they did with the tetragrammaton.  Is this a purely modern adaptation?  How do those who adopt this convention refer to the deity in conversation?  Or in more formal (say, academic) writing?  Do Jewish speakers of other languages -- say, French -- have any similar conventions?  And perhaps to the point, is there any objection if, as a Christian, I spell "God" out?

I'm certainly not trying to criticize -- I'm just curious.

Ken Smith