b-hebrew - Re: Septuagint or Hebrew Original Bible ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Septuagint or Hebrew Original Bible ?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:10:05 -0800

on 11/12/01 6:07 AM, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:

> Even texts not in the MT, which were known for a long
> time only in Greek, are found to have had a Hebrew
> origin with the discovery of the DSS.

Liz,

This is true of some texts but not of all. I don't believe that any "Hebrew
originals" have surfaced for the major additions to Daniel (Susanna, Bel,
etc.). Some folks have argued that one or more of these show evidence of a
Hebrew vorlage, but I have heard the same arguments about the Gospel of
Matthew. When you consider the impact that a Jewish linguistic and cultural
background would have on an author composing a book in Greek which was not
his native language, the whole question of "Hebrew originals" becomes very
complex. Until someone finds a few scraps of the "Hebrew originals" I will
remain skeptical.

greetings,

Clay

--