b-hebrew - Re: Septuagint Original

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Septuagint Original
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:46:34 -0700

One book where we know there are serious problems with the
Hebrew text and the LXX seems to preserve something closer to
the original is Samuel. The Samuel mss. among the Dead Sea
Scrolls often reflect the LXX text over against MT, especially in
places where the MT text has been suspect for centuries. To me
this suggests that the corruptions we see may have arisen some
time after the production of the DSS, but it's only a suggestion.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do with
it.
-Emerson