b-hebrew - RE: Septuagint or Hebrew Original Bible ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Septuagint or Hebrew Original Bible ?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:07:51 -0500

I should clarify. The Semitic original
from which the LXX of Esther was translated
is the MT. My work on Esther suggests that
another Semitic version of the Esther story
circulated along with the MT. This work (Proto A)
was not the basis of the LXX, but of the Greek A-text.
The similiarities between Proto-A and the MT suggest
a single Hebrew original behind both the MT and Proto-A.
I think this has implications for the rest of the LXX.

Even texts not in the MT, which were known for a long
time only in Greek, are found to have had a Hebrew
origin with the discovery of the DSS.

Liz