b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: dstabno AT lifeway.com
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:45:01 EDT

In a message dated 05/11/2001 6:59:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dstabno AT lifeway.com writes:

<< If He wanted to say "I will be with you" why did He say _)HYH )$R
)HYH_ instead of _)NY )HYH (MK_ or just _)HYH (MK_? I believe that Dan is
right: that He wanted to say something inherently ungrammatical (using a
finite verb to fill a proper noun slot). >>

I agree with you that there are several ways this could have been
communicated, but I am not suggesting that God said, "I will be with you,"
but by defining *Himself* in this way the meaning conveyed was one that would
give assurance to His people that as the one who would "prove to be what he
purposes to be," He would therefore succeed in His efforts to free his people
through Moses, as he outlined in the preceding verses. So, again, YHWH is not
saying "I will be with you," but defining Himself which results in this
assurance.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford