b-hebrew - RE: Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:46:39 -0500

Dear All,
If I may interject a comment here.
What I found offensive in someone's post was a quote from
the gospel of john, and a comment to the effect that a passage in the OT/HB
*foreshadowed* something in the NT.
I find the term offensive because it implied to me that the OT was written
primarily to foreshadow the new. That I find offensive.

There are other issues of course.
One is the belief that NT writers spoke
*inerrently* when they interpret OT texts. This is a problem because
the view of the NT writer is not offered as one view among many which
may be discussed as part of a history of tradition. But it is offered as
*revealed*, and *inerrent.* This is reminiscent of a discussion on Isaiah
I had
in which my interlocutor stated that Jesus' remarks were more authoritative
than Blenkinsopp's. For me they are not more authoritative at all, in fact
for me Blenkinsopp is more authoritative than Jesus, even if it could be
proven that Jesus did say whatever is attributed to him.

It's not that I object to someone saying that Jesus said something. It's
that I find it irrelevant. Jesus was not an authority on Isaiah, and even if
he was when he lived, his views, to me, are 1970 years out of date. He
did not have the benefit of archaeology, etc. I find Ibn Ezra's views on
Isaiah helpful, and enlightening, but I still prefer Blenkinsopp.

Another issue is the purpose of the list. I would find it interesting to
compare Paul's view of say, the garden of Eden story, with traditional
Jewish interpretation, and with what we think the author of the story
meant to convey. I wouldn't mind discussing that, but for me those
would be *three* different interpretations, not two. That is, what the
author intended to convey is not necessarily going to be how Paul
interpreted it or how the rabbis did. But is how the NT writers or later
Jewish tradition interpreted a text relevant on this list when we admit
that these later traditions were not inerrent and had no more access to
revealed truth than, say, Blenkinsopp?

So there are two views that can cause difficulties: 1) the view that the OT
was written primarily to foreshadow the new, and 2) that the writers
of the NT were inerrent in their interpretation of the HB. I object to both
these views.
I do expect Conservative Christians to hold them of course. I expect those
who
hold them to recognize that others don't necessarily, and that some find
them offensive
when stated dogmatically.

Best,
Liz Fried