b-hebrew - Re: Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
  • To: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <B-HEBREW AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <cms AT dragon.com>
  • Subject: Re: Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:46:41 -0500

Each of us brings something to the table of this discusion group and has
something to offer----

It is said that our greatest strength also has the potential to be a
weakness. One of the strengths of this group is the diversity of viewpoints,
knowledge and background. There are views to be learned from even from those
we completely disagee with---those whose views we might never be exposed to
left to our own normal contacts, most of whom probably think like us,
without a resource such as this worldwide bb.

It is from bb's such as this that I have learned more than I wanted to about
atheism, agnosticism, and humanism.....and it has been upsetting at times
and had I allowed it to, insulting. Yes, I have seen red. However, they
have managed to widen my perspective so that now, regardless of the fact I
did not want to be exposed to it, I know how they think, and why they think
that way. What upsets them, where their hot buttons are and some beliefs I
would never have imagined...(The Jews were never in Egypt???----Solomon
never existed? Moses either?---This is all mythology? In fact, they call it
"Biblical Mythology", there was a call for papers put out on Biblical
Mythology and when I objected they thought I was kidding...)

This group with it's diverse views, and even its disagreements and
contentions has been a great help to me in understanding the differing
interpretations of the Hebrew Scripture. To consider censoring reference
works such as the Talmud, Mishnah (I am now reading Pirkei Avos by Rabbi
Abraham Twerski, M.D.
and it is most valuable) or those by Josephus, Shaul, John, or any others
is reprehensible to me. Each one provides another piece to the puzzle of
understanding
the Hebrew Scriptures.