b-hebrew - Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Karl Ivan Baca <bacai AT usa.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know
  • Date: 12 Feb 2001 08:08:58 EST

Shalom every one, and shevuat Tov

I have a question which I adquire on reading the Weekly Parasha last week. It
is found in the book of Exedus 17. and in the New Covenant in 1st Corinthians
10:4 The Midrash says that this Rock follow them in the desert and people
drank from its waters, this Rock is called "Miriam's Well." It will park it
self close to the Mishkan and if you were sick and you drink from this water
it will bring healing, in any case it follow Israel all over in the desert,
and just as they had Mana to eat every day from HaShem, so they had water!.
Now lets read the two bible verses First

Shemot / Exedus {17:6} Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock in
Horeb. You shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the
people may drink." Moshe did so in the sight of the elders of Yisrael.

Then 1Cr 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of
that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Messiah.

Do you think that this was an actual Rock? Do you think was just a by word? Do
you believe that this story actually happen? I would like to hear your oppion.
Please.

This passage is tied up to another Midrash and it not the same by the way. So
do not attach this one with the first one I mentioned.
Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumbling stone and rock of
offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Karl D. Baca