b-hebrew - RE: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:44:48 -0500

Shoshanah, the only reason that betula is written in ketubot
for unmarried women today

and always

is that no one is going to ask,
it's a question of modesty.

Not the only reason

Liz, there is a whole history to the Ketuba, which no one on this list is addressing, when, why and how it was first instituted, who/what were the rabbis trying to protect, and for what reason, where they got their ideas from, what were the reasons for legally clarifying a woman's status, what were the obligations of the groom and his family, how was this worded in the Ketuba.

I am a calligrapher and Ketuba artist since 1973, it is my business to know and to have researched, I am not saying that there is not more that I can learn about the subject, I am saying that there is a great deal about the subject which is not being addressed in these conversations.

I will not talk about it any more on list

If you think that there is any more that you can know about this issue, then email me privately

If you think that you already know it all, then fine.

Shoshanna

Liz

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk AT concentric.net]