b-hebrew - Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:11:03 -0600

On 1/29/01 11:40 AM, "Moshe Shulman" <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> At 05:14 AM 1/29/01 -0500, Dan Wagner wrote:

Not really, for lots of reasons, but I will offer only one: the expectation
of the messiah was not new to the followers of Jesus and most of the
passages interpreted by the NT authors as messianic either already had those
overtones in the Tanakh or were already understood in that vein before Jesus
was a glimmer in anyone's eye.

Now, you may be right, Moshe, in assessing Dan's personal position, but that
is another issue.

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--