b-hebrew - Re: What will Elijah restore?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Damon Casale" <damon AT redshift.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What will Elijah restore?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:37:03 -0800

On 2 Jan 01, at 8:51, Charles David Isbell wrote:

> Dear Damon,
> Moses Auerbach has a succinct article on Elijah in Encyclopedia Judaica, a
> portion of which I have copied for you below. I hope it answers part of
> your query.
> Kol Tuv,
> Charles David Isbell

[snip]

Hmm! Lots of interesting stuff in here, although still not what I'm
looking for. The part about Elijah working with Moses I already knew
from the Scriptures. Restoring the tribes of Jacob is in Isaiah 49,
which is talking about Elijah, not the Messiah. (Isa. 49:4 couldn't
possibly be referring to the Messiah.)

I was hoping for a list of various things that the Rabbis expect
Elijah to restore. Do any of you know about the Copper Scroll, found
at Qumran? That contained a list of things that must be restored for
temple worship to begin again. Some of those things have already
been discovered, like the holy annointing oil which was used to
annoint the kings and high priests of ancient Israel. Some remain
yet to be discovered. I was hoping for a list like that.

Damon Casale, damon AT redshift.com
Thanks for the help, though. :-)