b-hebrew - Re: Re: What will Elijah restore?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ausra Pazeraite <akp AT centras.lt>
  • To: Damon Casale <damon AT redshift.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re: What will Elijah restore?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 17:36:55 +0100

Dear Damon,

I think that it is not very valid to mix Qumran Scrolls with expectations of
rabbis. Theology of Qumran sect was very different from Pharisaic teachings
and expectations of Messianic age. Qumran sect was oriented to restoration of
true Temple worship and true priesthood even in II Temple period. I think
that we must make a clear difference between expectations about Messianic age
in general and between the role of Elijah in the coming of that era... I
don’t suppose that the role of Elijah in rabbinical teachings is supposed to
be as great as to restore something very significant. It’s a role of messiah.
Elijah is more a sign of coming of messianic age. Hassidim of Rabbi Carlebach
narrate story about Elijah who is the best friend of anybody who need a
friend, who is in a mortal danger, who need to be saved, etc.. He always
appears there where somebody is to be saved, and was saved.