b-hebrew - Re: What will Elijah restore?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
  • To: "Damon Casale" <damon AT redshift.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What will Elijah restore?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 10:44:22 -0500

Damon, according to the references I found in my Bible :

"In later Jewish thought the messianic age was frequently associated with
Elijah's return. Malachi speaks of the reappearance of Elijah (Mal 4:5-6)
before the day of the Lord arrives."

Elijah is also associated with John the Baptist (Matt 11:14; 17:10-13; Luke
1:17)
and some associate Jesus with Elijah (Matt. 16:14; Luke9:8). Both Moses and
Elijah appeared (does that mean they were resurrected???) with Jesus on the
Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:3).

As far as what Elijah will restore----hmmmmm. Perhaps it would be found
in the depictions of the messianic age? How about considering what he
restored
when he was here the first time Rain---- he prayed for rain and the the
heavens
became black and there was a great rain after a long drought. (I Kings
17-18)
The meal and oil of the widow of Zarephath might be thought of as being
restored. Also the life of her son (this looks like another resurrection
reference
to me---unless someone interprets this as the lad not being dead).

"And he[Elijah] stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto
the Lord, and said, O Lord, my G-d, I pray thee, let this child's soul come
into him again. And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the
child came into him again and he revived." (I Kings 17: 17-24)

A few thoughts on the first day of 2001--
As I recall growing up, we always set a place for the uninvited guest at
special dinners
and somehow in my memory, that was supposed to be Elijah. Happy New year to
all.

Christine Bass