b-hebrew - RE: Arabic Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Arabic Bible
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:30:30 -0000

Dear Shoshanna,

You may be fluent in the original biblical Hebrew. If so, wonderful! Though
surely even you cannot claim to understand the original perfectly - if you
do, let me quiz you about the unclean birds in Leviticus!

But unfortunately there are billions of people in this world who are not
fluent in Hebrew, and who do not have any realistic opportunity to learn it.
Good translations into their mother tongues, or into other languages which
they know well, open up to them the religious, historical, cultural,
literary etc etc riches of the Bible. Even for scholars translations are
very useful, though preferably used in conjunction with the original text.
Of course no translation is going to be perfect, though one into classical
Arabic would be just about as good as you can hope for (as Arabic and Hebrew
are so close). But it may well be much better understood than the original,
which is well understood (in the original without any translation to help)
by so few.

Peter Kirk