b-hebrew - Num 18:29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Num 18:29
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:04:52 -0600

Is Num 18:29 poetry? I notice that both halves of the verse begin with a
prepositional phrase with *min*, and end with marked direct objects. The
verb in the second half is omitted.

Is it perhaps poetry as a mnemonic device for this regulation? If so, it
seems to me, it should be set off as poetry in translation to alert the
reader, or else the reader who is not alert to Hebrew poetry would miss the
device.

Dave Stabnow

  • Num 18:29, David Stabnow, 01/02/2001