b-hebrew - RE: Arabic Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Dan Wagner" <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Arabic Bible
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:28:03 -0000

That may be the more recent Muslim apologetic. But in the original Muslim
tradition, the Qur'an, there is an explicit injunction to read the Tovrat =
Hebrew Bible and the Injil = New Testament. So in answer to these Muslim
claims that the text is corrupted, one can ask when the text was first
corrupted, before or after the time of Muhammad. If they say "before", then
ask why Muhammad was instructed to read these corrupted texts. If they say
"after", then they will have to agree that MSS from before Muhammad's time
are not corrupt, and you can show them DSS and the 4th-5th century CE folios
of LXX and NT.

Peter Kirk