b-hebrew - Re: Cause he said so

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <barre AT freedsl.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cause he said so
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:23:37 -0300

LMB,

It is customary to consider each hypothesis on its own merits rather than
only by comparison with alternative hypotheses. So it is quite proper to
examine your hypothesis in detail, with every possible test, apart from
looking at any alternatives.

Suppose you were accused of a serious crime that was otherwise unsolved.
Would you be happy to be convicted on the grounds that you had failed to pin
the blame convincingly on anyone else?

By the way, I think you ought to realise that many Jewish scholars,
including some on this list, hold that Moses wrote most of the Pentateuch,
but their views have nothing to do with what Jesus said.

Peter Kirk