b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1, Rashi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1, Rashi
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:17:43 -0300

Thanks for the clarification. So what you are saying is not so different
from Rashi after all, with verses 1-3 as background, but without the formal
syntactic dependence which Rashi seems to have seen there.

But we are then left with the question of how you parse verse 1, at a purely
syntactic level. You seem to reject syntactic dependence on any other
clause. So are you taking it as a verbless clause? If so, it would
apparently be a clause consisting of only a prepositional phrase "In the
beginning of..." I suppose that is just possible as the copula is not always
expressed in Hebrew, but it seems improbable. Can you, or anyone else, give
any other example of a clause in Hebrew consisting of only a prepositional
phrase? Of course we already have this as a possible analysis of the first
part of Isaiah 6:1, and by allowing these two examples we can allow Rolf to
keep his hypothesis. I suppose we would have to assume that in both cases
something like WAY:HIY has been elided, or possibly even lost in
transmission. But are others as uncomfortable as I am with this suggestion?

Peter Kirk