b-hebrew - RE: veqatal and adverbs, and Genesis 1:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: veqatal and adverbs, and Genesis 1:1-3
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:59:13 -0400

One of my Hebrew teachers used to make us read the unpointed text.
He also wanted us to get rid of the spaces between the words.
All that was interpretation by the Masoretes he said.
It was hard to do, since we all had the pointed copies anyway.
I didn't realize the magnitude of the problem until I started
reading the DSS texts. Deciphering unpublished fragments
of texts with no nekudot brought it firmly home to me how
every dot is translation. Every dot you add fixes one interpretation, and
rules out forever every other one.
Don't forget, besides, the many qorey, katib differences
noted in the margins of the codices.
Liz