b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Niels Peter Lemche" <npl AT teol.ku.dk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:54:50 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 9:08 AM

Dear Peter,

<snip>

OK?

NPL

Yes! No problems with what you write now - except that (from what I
understand) the only Arabs from far east and far west who can communicate
are the lucky minority (nearly all male) who have had a good education, and
have learned classical Arabic more or less as a foreign language. I guess
the differences may be as much as between Danish and English; you had to
learn English to communicate with me (or I could have learned Danish, but I
regret that I haven't).

Peter Kirk