b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 19:06:17 +0100

You are making unwarranted assumptions here that BH text is dated at the
same general time period as the DSS. The BH narratives certainly purport to
be several centuries earlier, and there is no proof that they are not what
they appear to be. So we may be talking about a time gap of several
centuries rather than, or in addition to, a shift in social situations.

Peter Kirk