b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Liz Fried' <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:29:38 +0200

Dear Liz,

OK, except from the term 'archaizing'... when we have no safe anchor for
dating texts we must be extremely careful when we argue that there is within
the HB a development of language from something to something.

Let's take up an example-discussed on this or another list half a year ago:

Hebrew/Phoinician/Moabite etc display no elaborate system of consecutive
forms like the prose narrative in the HB. Neither does post-biblical Hebrew.
The argument runs: It starts to break down already in late biblical Hebrew,
but it was not there from the beginning of the history of the language. If
you remember the earlier discussion, I found some examples of a consecutive
preformative (imperfect) in the Mesha inscription, and-if my memory serves
me right, in the Yavne Yam letter of complaint. Never a consecutive perfect,
never the change among the forms. From a strictly philological point of
view, which I have difficulties accepting, standard biblical Hebrew is later
and represents a special development within the history of the language, but
as seen from this quarter, Hurvitz late biblical Hebrew in some ways is
closer to inscriptions than standard biblical Hebrew. So what can we deduct
from this? For the time being I would be satisfied with linguistic studies
of the differences. Then the fight can start another day about datings.

We should never forget that standard biblical Hebrew represents a highly
developed literary kind of Hebrew. It need not be older neither younger than
other forms of the language. It's like Latin: what is the oldest form?
Cicero's elaborate literary written Latin or the spoken Latin sometimes
showing up in Horace's poems? When I first read Horace, I was stunned: His
spoken Latin was so colloquial and in some ways much closer to Italian than
Cicero's learned language.

The remains of casus, are they not mostly related to locative endings and a
few more like that. I am not so sure that I can remember a single case of
the nom-acc-gen-endings as in Ugaritic, Akkadian or Arabic.

NPL