b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:54:15 +0200

George Athas wrote:

> > [...]
> > Another question I have is that in the Genesis narratives, Abraham's
> > dialogs
> > are in Hebrew (correct me if I am wrong). If he is from Harran, why isn't
> > he
> > speaking in Aramaic ? If he is from Lower Mesopotamia, why isn't he
> > speaking
> > in Akkadian ? If these dialogs are really "his preserved words", and if
> > one
> > wants to argue later generations rendered his words into Hebrew, then
> > wouldn't word studies reveal an Aramaic or Akkadian language underlying
> > the
> > Hebrew translation ? [...]
>
> Why do Colleen McCullough's Roman characters all seem to speak in English?
> Why do the
> characters in the movie, "Gladiator" all speak English? Why does Jesus
> speak Greek in the
> NT?

In Gen. 31, the narrator makes a clear distinction between the language
spoken by Laban -
Aramean - and the language spoken by Jacob - Hebrew; meaning that for the
writers of the
Patriarchal Narratives, the Patriarchs had spoken Hebrew. This doesn't mean
anything
historically, of course, unless you want to claim that thwe Patriarchs spole
some Amorite
dialect, which later became Hebrew. But it would appear that the Patriarchs
originated in an
Aramaic milieu and not an Amorite one.
Sincerely,
--