b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Niels Peter Lemche" <npl AT teol.ku.dk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:19:09 -0400

Interesting, Niels Peter.
If I remember correctly, my teacher Charles Krahmolkov has
argued for vestiges of case endings occasionally in the Hebrew Bible similar
to those you mention for Ugaritic. I'm sorry I don't recall where these
are -- perhaps in the psalms. Even if one were to say it was "deliberate
archaizing," it testifies to an earlier archaic language the writer knew
about.
Liz