b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: MELEK HA(WOLAM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Richard Petersen" <Richard.Petersen AT noaa.gov>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: MELEK HA(WOLAM
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:16:13 -0500

There are certain well known superlatives from Hebrew, attested in Shir
ha-Shirim ("song of songs" or "the greatest song") or havel havalim ("the
most value-less thing of all") or qodesh ha-qodashim ("holy of holies" or
the holiest place).

There is also another liturgical phrase, describing YHWH as melekh malkey
ha-melakhim, "king of the kings of the kings," which surely means "the
greatest of all kings" or "the king who is greater than the greatest among
the kings." I think the referential field implied by melekh ha-'olam should
fall here by analogous extension="king for all time [and space!]." Still,
the necessity of putting this concept into manageable English is difficult.
I think you are on the right track to consider the wide range of meaning
implied in the phrase. No single English phrase can carry the complete
weight of the Hebrew, as you have noted. But any of several that have been
suggested may be adequate for a translation that must function in an English
context.
Charles David Isbell
Louisiana State University