b-hebrew - Re: MELEK HA(WOLAM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: eweiss AT gte.net, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: MELEK HA(WOLAM
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:17:31 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2000 8:16:34 AM Central Standard Time, eweiss AT gte.net
writes:

<< Please forgive my possible mistransliteration; it's usually spelled
"melech
haolam" in popular English transliteration.

I know this isn't a Biblical phrase, but it is in many Jewish liturgical
prayers dating to Biblical times.

It's usually translated "King of the Universe" but (WOLAM to me has more of
a time sense than an earth/solar system/galaxies sense (which is how I
react to the word "universe"). I've checked Brown-Driver-Briggs, Holladay,
Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, New International Dictionary of
Old Testament Theology and Exegesis, and Ernest Klein's Etymological
Dictionary of the Hebrew Language for meaning(s) of (WOLAM.

What would be a better translation?

I think generally B.fRU.K )fT.fH ):aDoNaY ):eLoHeYNU. MeLeK Ha(oWLfM is
translated as "Blessed are you, Oh Lord our God, King of the universe." In
this usage of (oWlfm I don't think a temporal element is so much in view
except in the sense that it incluces all that is or has been.

gfsomsel