b-hebrew - RE: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:28:06 -0500

Jonathan Safren wrote:

> It is more likely that the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the
> Hittites, etc. no longer
> existed in Ezra's time, and that basing himself on what was
> written in the Torah, he is
> using these peoples as a metaphor for the non-Jews then living in Judah.

I agree with this. I am writing my dissertation (almost done --yay!) on the
Impact of the Achaemenid Empire on the Rise to Power of the Judaean
Priesthood.
I do not share the understanding of Ezra that the commentators on
Ezra-Nehemiah have had. I survey temple-palace relations during the
Achaemenid period in Babylon, Asia Minor, and Egypt. I conclude that Ezra's
mission is
entirely consistent with Persian policy, but I understand his mission
differently from most. As an historical character, he did not have the
impact on Judah that Nehemiah did. The bulk of the book attributed to him I
think is midrash on his historical mission.

One reason for suggesting Ezra is not historical is the lack of outside
references to him in Maccabees, Ben Sira, etc. I don't think there was any
reason for him to have been mentioned there. The book of Ezra-Nehemiah is
one book. It was probably known as the book of Nehemiah, and Ezra simply a
character in it.

I think the book of Ezra-Nehemiah as we have it was redacted during the
reign of Darius III, 335-333, no earlier and no later.

I have applied to give a talk on this at SBL in the fall. But in any case,
it is in my dissertation, which will be available on microfilm after May 11.

Thanks,
Liz