b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:00:56 +0200

Walter Mattfeld wrote:

> "At that time the Canaanites and the Perizzites dwelt in the Land"
>
> This statement suggests to some commentators that the narrator is explaining
> to his audience a situation that currently doesn't prevail, i.e., there are
> no Canaanites or Perizzites presently in the land.

"some commentators" tend to jump to conclusions and not look
at other logical possibilities.

Namely, that the author is pointing out that the situation
which prevailed at the time of his writing also prevailed
back in the days when Abraham first entered the land - this
is an especially apt point to make the first time it is
stated, juxtaposed to God's promise to give Abraham the land
(12:6-7) - i.e. how can I, one man, inherit a land already
inhabited by other peoples?

BTW, Matt 15:22 mentions a Canaanite woman from whose
daughter the Lord cast out a demon - so maybe Genesis 12 and
13 were glossed in the 2nd or 3rd century AD? (it's helpful
sometimes to apply one's methodology consistently so as to
find out if it's results are actually useful).

Regards,

John Ronning