b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:49:08 +0200

Back we go the unfounded claim that an ancient book cannot have existed
before the earliest extant MS!
And back I go to Ken Litwak's retort that the earliest extant MSS of the
ancient Greek and Roman authors, of whose historicity and antiquity no
one would dare cast aspersion, date from hundreds of years after they
are "supposed" to have existed,
Why is only the Bible subjected to "special treatment"?
Sincerely,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies