b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch- Genesis and Ezra
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 6:55:54

Walter Mattfeld wrote:

> If Ezra wrote the "Primary History" (Genesis-2 Kings), then it is most
> unlikely that he would have written the statement found in Ge. 13:7,
> describing the historical situation in the days of Abraham and Lot-
>
> "At that time the Canaanites and the Perizzites dwelt in the Land"
>
> This statement suggests to some commentators that the narrator is explaining
> to his audience a situation that currently doesn't prevail, i.e., there are
> no Canaanites or Perizzites presently in the land.
>
> That Ezra would not have written this is suggested by comments attributed to
> him in Ezr.9:1-
>
> "The people of Israel...have not separated themselves from the peoples of
> the lands...from the CANAANITES, the Hittites, the PERIZZITES, the
> Jebusites, the Ammonites..."

I mean too, Gen. 13:7 wasn´t written by Esra. But that´s all.

How can you take Ezr. 9:1 as meaning the situation at the time of Ezra? Is
there any reference to Hittites, Perezzites, Jebusites as still existing
peoples at that time, or we should take this but figuratively?

There is no living reference to them after the Exile. The very last
Hittite, Perezzites or Jebusites we meet as handling persons are during
the time Davids and Salomons. Not to call them historical. But than you
don´t have them, not even for such a remote time.

Where is your evidence?

Best regards,