b-hebrew - RE: Re[3]: Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Peter Kirk' <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[3]: Evidence
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:11:55 +0100

Who says that he gave up Shechem. He is accused of having handed Shechem
over to the habiru, but when habiru is used in the Amarna letter in the way
indicated in some of my earlier postings, and referring to both Mendenhall
and Liverani, the phrase NN has surrendered territory or city XX in the
hands of the habiru may only mean that the territory or city in question is
by now revolting against the forces of Pharaoh. This would never prevent the
accused person of accusing his fellow chazanu of slandering him (as Lab'aya
as a matter of fact does).

As I said before, we cannot take the Amarma letters at face value. We have
to so-to-speak deconstruct their intented meaning and distinguish between
information and noise. Such analyses can be quite subtle like Liverani's
analysis of the letters of Aziru of Amurru where the real intent of the
letters only appears in the number of ventiv verbal forms used. The message
is the opposite of what is written in plain words. Aziru claims to be
willing to go to Egypt at the requst of the Pharaoh. As a matter of fact,
the real message is, no, no, I will not come...

NPL